August 8th, 2013
12:30 PM ET
Share this on:

Editor's note: Aktar Islam is one of Britain's premier chefs, specializing in South Asian cuisine. Born and bred in Birmingham, Islam's exposure to British cuisine and the strong influence from his Bangladeshi heritage have shaped his approach and unique style. He has won several awards including the BBC Great British Menu, and his restaurant Lasan won the Gordon Ramsey's Best Local Restaurant award.

Eid in the Islam household was always a very special occasion for me; it was when I'd get to see family and friends and, most of all, I could eat myself silly, gorging on amazing Asian food!

What sticks in the memory most was the build-up; this would begin several days prior to Eid - mum would be busy preparing the sauces and marinades which were invariably rich, vibrant reds and greens. The aromas emanating from the kitchen were so intense that our mouths watered in anticipation as our bellies simultaneously whined "are we there yet?"

The day went something like this: We'd be up extremely early and the food fest would begin with Shir Khurma for breakfast. This is a lovely vermicelli and milk pudding, spiced with cardamom and cinnamon and served with an Indian rusk.

Read - Sweet Eid: Breaking the fast with world's tastiest treats

Previously:
An Egyptian family's Eid al-Fitr feastThe delicious rituals of Ramadan
iReport: Share your iftar traditions
Just don't call me late for Iftari
Iftar in the South: Muslims gather for breaking of Ramadan fast
More on Ramadan at the Belief Blog

Posted by:
Filed under: Eid • Holidays • Rituals


soundoff (3 Responses)
  1. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

    It's a shame the extremists use Ramadan as a period of murders in the name of Islam. Normal Muslims get a bad rap for them.

    August 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • RC

      True dat.

      August 9, 2013 at 11:24 am |
    • Josh

      Yes. It is the 99% of the Muslims who give the remaining 1% a bad name.

      August 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
Pinterest
 
| Part of